[Koha] Integrating Vision AI / GPT for cataloging in Koha

Karam Qubsi karamqubsi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 04:52:52 NZST 2024

Hello Arthur,

And to everyone else who wish to try,

You can now test this with me here 😁:

https://marcai.libmatic.com/

<https://marcai.libmatic.com/>
For Unimarc, I think it is not a problem ,we can modify prompts
accordingly, but I didn't try that yet, I added this as a todo item so I
can try it later.

For now to use the tool you'll need to:

   - create an account,
   - verify via email
   - configure organisation details ( including OpenAI key )
   - (optional) configure Koha link, api key and secret, to send bibs to
   Koha once happy with it.

This is multi tenancy setup, so whatever you submit will only be visible by
your organisation only,

For Gemini, the current published version is not utilizing it at the
moment. I have code ready for that, but it requires some enhancements,
which I will work on later if others are interested in using it as well. I
find Gemini to be effective for non-Latin texts, which is why I chose it,
but generally, OpenAI is excellent for English and Latin-based languages.
so even for later Gemini is optional.

For vector stores, this idea is related to another concept that can build
upon our current work with the library catalog. To improve cataloging, it’s
essential to implement a Retrieval-Augmented Generation (RAG) system to
retrieve all relevant records in the library catalog, ensuring consistency
in handling similar materials. Using embeddings and vector-based stores is
ideal for this purpose.

Another idea driven by having the catalog indexed as embeddings and having
RAG ready,  is to create a library chatbot that is aware of the library’s
content and can communicate with the Koha API. Users will be able to ask
the chatbot to find books on specific topics (patrons can ask in any
language), and the AI will return related items. Since the AI understands
the library’s collection with access to Koha Rest API, it can inform users
whether books are available or checked out. Users may also request the AI
to reserve a book, and it can handle the reservation for them or present a
button for confirmation. The same functionality can apply to renewals and
any other actions that users typically perform manually and that is
supported by Koha RestAPI.

I believe there are many ideas to explore and experiment with in this
space. So, let me know, everyone, if you have any questions, comments, or
suggestions for improvement. I’m all ears!

Karam.

<https://marcai.libmatic.com/>

--
​*Karam Qubsi*