[Koha] Replace all existing call numbers with LoC

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Mar 24 10:30:38 NZDT 2016

At 08:46 PM 3/23/2016 +0000, Daniel Glendening wrote:
>Thanks Jesse,
>
>That's not what I hoped to hear, but what I expected.
>
>In editing the entry, via the "Replace Record via Z39.50," I'm able to
>retrieve Library of Congress info, and call numbers,

What "call number" are you looking at? There's maybe a bit of confusion here.

LoC will supply an 001 (control number) which together with 003 (control
number identifier) *must* be unique e.g. (001)16644410 + (003)DLC is
(100$a)Cowan's (245$a)"The Welland ship canal..." LoC also supply an 010
"LC control number" 36013568. If it were a more recent publication they
might supply an 040 ISBN (10 or 13 digit)... plus a Dewey, plus...

LoC *only* supply the generic bibliographic data for a generic copy of your
book.

The Koha "call number" is associated with *your* item (particular copy of
the generic) on *your* shelf; it appears under "Item" (para 'o') and is
generated by Koha when you add an item. There is some latitude in Koha over
how it's generated, and you can always "hand edit" it (in fact, there are
times that you should do so.)

>but when I save, the call number remains unchanged, still displaying the
>old number.

That is normal -- your LoC import has only (potentially) changed the biblio
data, *not* the item data.

>If I change
>that number in the "edit item," it will be correct. I'm probably approaching
>this problem from the wrong direction, as I'm very new to Koha, but
>shouldn't the MARC biblio info be in sync with item info?

This is where there is some confusion: the generic / all library / biblio
description "contains" your items, all of which are individual books
defined by you (with Koha's assistance) including (952$o)(your library's)
call number...

Best -- Paul