[Koha] RFC: Circulation Rules Interface and Backend Revamp RFC

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 09:12:47 NZDT 2016

The backend and frontend of the circulation/policy rules in Koha have been
extended and stretched to the point where they cause a fair amount of
issues and frustration. Many librarians and developers are uncertain when
default rules are applied, and the very large number of possible settings
makes the interface and backend unwieldy.

Full details for our intended solution can be found at the link at the
bottom of this email, but here's the gist:

Instead of having one database row with all settings for a given
library/category/itemtype, allow each setting (checkout length, fine
amount, holds allowed, etc.) to be specified separately.
Rework the interface to more clearly show the specificity of
default/specific rules, and allow for this new database model.
Accomplish the above incrementally by gradually changing APIs.

http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Circulation_Rules_Interface_and_Backend_Revamp_RFC

Any and all comments are appreciated. Development on this project has been
fully sponsored, and we are looking to start work later this year.
--
Jesse Weaver