[Koha] Using Koha to manage equipment loans

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Sep 29 07:11:11 NZDT 2015

We have several laptops, cameras and recording equipment that various
members of staff use, take off site, etc. The current method of keeping
track of them is inadequate, and I proposed that we use Koha for checking
them in and out, placing holds,  tracking use, etc;  all functions Koha can
do.

We don't want the equipment to appear in the public catalogue, and I don't
want non-library staff poking around in the nether regions of the library
catalogue. But I also don't want the library staff to be burdened with
keeping track of equipment that belongs to and is generally used by another
department.

I'd like to hear how other libraries have handled this.

 I am considering setting up another branch, just for equipment.  Would it
be easy to limit access to one branch but keep the main collection open for
all? Or would I have to set up a completely different Koha installation?
Our test site for instance is completely separate, limited to a couple of
IP addresses, and the OPAC requires a login - something like that would
work for equipment.

--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler