[Koha] Zebra Indexing problem with upgrade

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Fri May 31 03:59:09 NZST 2013

Just to say, it may not be the Koha upgrade that caused the problem.

We haven't upgraded our Koha system lately (we're running 3.10.02) but the
server that it runs on recently had a system upgrade.  We thought Koha came
through without any problems (search and display seemed fine), but newly
catalogued records are not being returned in searches.

I ran a report to look for  items catalogued since the upgrade, and they
are indeed there, so it's another indexing problem.

The indexing process seems to be a weak spot in Koha.  In our case, it's
usually the first (and only) thing to fail whenever anything is changed.
 Mind you, you should have seen the rest of the Society's web site after
the upgrade. . .it took two IT wizards several hours to get it back on its
feet.  By comparison Koha seems fairly robust.

Elaine

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:

> At 05:43 PM 5/29/2013 -0700, David Whelchel wrote:
> [snip]
>
>  At this point I can go into either the OPAC or ADMIN client and
>> successfully
>> search. BUT once I execute any  rebuild_zebra.pl command (all finish
>> without
>> any errors)  upon searching the search results show the number of items
>> returned but each item shows "Availability: No copies available". I have
>> used many permutations of the  rebuild_zebra.pl command. The one that
>> seems
>> to be recommended most is "
>> /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_**tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -v -r -a -b -x ".
>> If I
>> edit an existing marc record I can see that volume until I run the
>> rebuild_zebra.pl command again.
>> I have been returning to this problem on an off for the better part of a
>> year. I have gone to the extent of verifying any number of problems raised
>> in the koha lists (such as making sure that there are no duplicate Field
>> 001
>> values in the db) and would appreciate any help.
>>

> A couple of thoughts (off-the-wall, and certainly may not reflect the
> general usage of Koha, only some in-house "experiences" over the last
> couple of years.)
>
> "Items available" depends on a numerous data points (damaged status, not
> for loan, use restrictions at least.) Is the search that is "failing" along
> the lines of 'opac-search.pl?idx=kw&q=**lubbock&limit=available<http://opac-search.pl?idx=kw&q=lubbock&limit=available>'
> -- note the '&limit=available'?  One of my "to do" jobs is to remove the
> "Availability // limit to currently available items" option from the OPAC
> page as we are a reference, not lending, library and clicking on
> "Availability" systematically brings items down to "No results found!" (See
> e.g. <http://opac.**navalmarinearchive.com/cgi-**
> bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=**lubbock<http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=lubbock>
> >.)
>
> I also remember at some point that we had problems using the -a and -x
> together for rebuild_zebra.pl (but can't remember why or find any notes.)
> We now "rebuild" in two stages: first 'rebuild_zebra.pl -b -r -v -x',
> then 'rebuild_zebra.pl -a -r -v'
>
> Best - Paul

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)