[Koha] Slow checkout times in 3.12

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Fri May 31 06:09:12 NZST 2013

Hello everybody,

I have three systems running Koha, two test systems and a production system I'm currently building. I built them all from Koha Live DVD, then applied all the updates/upgrades available so they're running on Xubuntu/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I believe. Two of the systems are running Koha 3.12, the third is running 3.10.5.

The problem I'm having is slow checkout times. On the 3.12 production system, I scan a barcode and the system takes thirty seconds to respond. The server shows circulation.pl taking up 100% of the CPU, and that's two 3GHz Xeon processors. The 3.10.5 system takes three seconds at the most, and it's running on an old PC. I'm having the same slow response times running offline checkout--on 3.12, it takes thirty seconds per item; on 3.10.5, it takes a couple of minutes to run through 500+ items. The other 3.12 system, running on a PC identical to the 3.10.5 system, has response times similar to the production system.

I found a few potential solutions in the list archives, and none of them worked. I'm not running the zebra daemon in the background, and I'm not logging changes to bibliographic or item records.

Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions for fixing it?

(I'm switching my sysadmin hat for a librarian hat for the rest of the day, so I may not be able to get back to anyone for a while.)

Thanks,

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments, may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom it is
addressed. The information contained in this communication may also
be protected by legal privilege, federal law or other applicable
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
you are hereby notified that any distribution, dissemination or
duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please immediately
delete and destroy all copies of this message and please
immediately notify us of the error by separate communication. Thank
you.