[Koha] Zebra Indexing problem with upgrade

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri May 31 01:13:03 NZST 2013

At 05:43 PM 5/29/2013 -0700, David Whelchel wrote:
[snip]
>At this point I can go into either the OPAC or ADMIN client and successfully
>search. BUT once I execute any  rebuild_zebra.pl command (all finish without
>any errors)  upon searching the search results show the number of items
>returned but each item shows "Availability: No copies available". I have
>used many permutations of the  rebuild_zebra.pl command. The one that seems
>to be recommended most is "
>/usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -v -r -a -b -x ". If I
>edit an existing marc record I can see that volume until I run the
>rebuild_zebra.pl command again.
>I have been returning to this problem on an off for the better part of a
>year. I have gone to the extent of verifying any number of problems raised
>in the koha lists (such as making sure that there are no duplicate Field 001
>values in the db) and would appreciate any help.

A couple of thoughts (off-the-wall, and certainly may not reflect the
general usage of Koha, only some in-house "experiences" over the last
couple of years.)

"Items available" depends on a numerous data points (damaged status, not
for loan, use restrictions at least.) Is the search that is "failing" along
the lines of 'opac-search.pl?idx=kw&q=lubbock&limit=available' -- note the
'&limit=available'?  One of my "to do" jobs is to remove the "Availability
// limit to currently available items" option from the OPAC page as we are
a reference, not lending, library and clicking on "Availability"
systematically brings items down to "No results found!" (See e.g.
<http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=lubbock>.)

I also remember at some point that we had problems using the -a and -x
together for rebuild_zebra.pl (but can't remember why or find any notes.)
We now "rebuild" in two stages: first 'rebuild_zebra.pl -b -r -v -x', then
'rebuild_zebra.pl -a -r -v'

Best - Paul