[Koha] koha as a ready-made VM appliance?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Aug 9 21:17:31 NZST 2013

On 09/08/13 08:07, Manos PETRIDIS wrote:
> What I asked was if there are koha implementations on the major clouds out
> there (Amazon, Microsoft etc.), ready-made for their customer to use.

I'm sure I remember an Amazon image being demonstrated at the kohacon10
hackfest but I just failed to find details online.

> Therefore, the library is a customer of the cloud provider, and seeks only
> consultation from Koha support providers. Quite a different business
> scenario, as neither the Koha consultant nor the customer need to have their
> own infrastructure in order to have a large/scalable Koha installation.

A very different business scenario, where both parties are trusting the
cloud provider very heavily and probably paying them a fair whack.  If
you actually need that scalability, I suspect it's better value for
money to pay a Koha support provider to create a customised image for
one of the private clouds which comes with rather - errrm, how to phrase
this? - closer, less scripted support from its provider.

The co-op is open to consulting for such libraries, but I fear problems
could take longer to track down, as Amazon isn't as well documented or
tested as the more common platforms.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op