[Koha] koha as a ready-made VM appliance?

Manos PETRIDIS egpetridis at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 14 03:35:18 NZST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz
[mailto:koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz] On Behalf Of MJ Ray
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 12:18 PM
To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Subject: Re: [Koha] koha as a ready-made VM appliance?

> On 09/08/13 08:07, Manos PETRIDIS wrote:
> > What I asked was if there are koha implementations on the major clouds
> > out there (Amazon, Microsoft etc.), ready-made for their customer to
use.

> I'm sure I remember an Amazon image being demonstrated at the kohacon10
hackfest but I just failed to find details online.

> > Therefore, the library is a customer of the cloud provider, and seeks
> > only consultation from Koha support providers. Quite a different
> > business scenario, as neither the Koha consultant nor the customer
> > need to have their own infrastructure in order to have a large/scalable
Koha installation.

> A very different business scenario, where both parties are trusting the
cloud provider very heavily and probably paying them a fair whack.  > If you
actually need that scalability, I suspect it's better value for money to pay
a Koha support provider to create a customised image for > one of the
private clouds which comes with rather - errrm, how to phrase this? -
closer, less scripted support from its provider.

> The co-op is open to consulting for such libraries, but I fear problems
could take longer to track down, as Amazon isn't as well documented > or
tested as the more common platforms.

> Hope that explains,

It certainly does! I don't have any such need myself as I only use koha to
document my own personal library, it's just that I read about really large
circulations and I wondered under what scenaria such a need would arise
(large number of geographically dispersed libraries for example) and how I
would begin handling it myself, if I had to (I'm an IT professional).

best regards,
Manos Petridis

http://koha-community.org supporter, web and library systems