[Koha] collection vs item types

Lori Bowen Ayre lori.ayre at galecia.com
Tue Jan 25 11:49:47 NZDT 2011

Joann and Owen,

Could I get a copy of your circulation matrix?  I'd like to put together a
short tutorial of some kind on item types, circulation codes and why you'd
go one way or the other. I think this is one thing that is really important
for new Koha users to understand...and that understanding would ideally come
BEFORE migration.  I'd like to see how you two implemented your two opposite
approaches.

If anyone has anything else they'd like to share that might serve as a good
resource, let me know.

Lori

2011/1/24 Joann Ransom <jransom at library.org.nz>

> Hi Rachel,
>
> We have gone the other way: many item types and few collections. This is a
> post I wrote at the time when I was trying to decide how best to use item
> types and colelction codes.
>

> http://library-matters.blogspot.com/2009/03/dont-be-afraid-of-using-lots-of-item.html
>
> Cheers Jo.
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:
>
>> > The OPAC currently lists item
>> > type only so we assume we should actually use this to identify different
>> > collections.
>>
>> The most important factor to consider is that at the moment item types
>> can be used to set circulation policies and collection codes cannot.
>> Other than that they're fairly interchangeable. You can set the
>> "AdvancedSearchTypes" system preference to show either item types or
>> collection code on the advanced search page.
>>
>> Because circulation policies can be set per item type we have set up a
>> few general item types for circ rules: circulating, videos and DVDs,
>> audio books, and non-circulating. Then we have a lot of collection
>> codes which we use to classify various combinations of audience,
>> material, and genre.
>>
>> As log as you're giving your patrons and staff the right categories to
>> narrow their searches and you've got the circulation policies in place
>> that you need, there's not a wrong way to do it.
>>
>>  -- Owen
>>
>> --
>> Web Developer
>> Athens County Public Libraries
>> http://www.myacpl.org

> Joann Ransom RLIANZA
> Head of Libraries,
> Horowhenua Library Trust.
>
> *Q: Why is this email three sentences or less?
> A: http://three.sentenc.es*

Lori Bowen Ayre // Library Technology Consultant
The Galecia Group // www.galecia.com
(707) 763-6869 // Lori.Ayre at galecia.com

<Lori.Ayre at galecia.com>Specializing in open source ILS solutions, RFID,
filtering,
workflow optimization, and materials handling