[Koha] collection vs item types

M. Brooke Helman abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 12:21:04 NZDT 2011

Kia ora!

I agree. It's nice and granular with many itemtypes.

Cheers,
Brooke

Hi Rachel,

We have gone the other way: many item types and few collections. This is  a post
I wrote at the time when I was trying to decide how best to use  item types and
colelction codes.

http://library-matters.blogspot.com/2009/03/dont-be-afraid-of-using-lots-of-item.html

Cheers Jo.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:

> The OPAC currently lists item
>> type only so we assume we should actually use this to identify different
>> collections.
>
>The most important factor to consider is that at the moment item types
>can be used to set circulation policies and collection codes cannot.
>Other than that they're fairly interchangeable. You can set the
>"AdvancedSearchTypes" system preference to show either item types or
>collection code on the advanced search page.
>
>Because circulation policies can be set per item type we have set up a
>few general item types for circ rules: circulating, videos and DVDs,
>audio books, and non-circulating. Then we have a lot of collection
>codes which we use to classify various combinations of audience,
>material, and genre.
>
>As log as you're giving your patrons and staff the right categories to
>narrow their searches and you've got the circulation policies in place
>that you need, there's not a wrong way to do it.
>
> -- Owen
>
>--
>Web Developer
>Athens County Public Libraries
>http://www.myacpl.org

Joann Ransom RLIANZA
Head of Libraries,
Horowhenua Library Trust.

Q: Why is this email three sentences or less?
A: http://three.sentenc.es