[Koha] Patron Barcode Question

Becki Whitaker becki at incolsa.net
Wed Feb 24 07:50:37 NZDT 2010

Nicole,

If you want an identifying sequence of numbers that some barcode
symbologies use, there is actually a barcode registry for the usual
4-digit identifying number.  Dating back to the early days of CLSI, it
is now maintained by Thor <www.thor.com>, the folks that bought Geac and
turned it into the Vubis Smart, Integrated Library System.   Anyway,
they maintain a registry of the 4-digit identifier numbers -- who has
what where, etc.  Unfortunately and ironically, the registry is still
kept in a book and not accessible to anyone except them.  You can call
800-765-4658 and submit your desired number.  They will check the
registry and tell you if the number is already assigned or not and to
whom.  Given that there are only 9999 unique numbers in this scheme,
many numbers are already taken.

The original purpose of the registry was to help folks have unique
numbers to aid getting ILL items back to the right library.  However, we
have found that even keeping track of what libraries are using in our
state helps, as do barcodes with library names on them that many  now
use.  In our consortium, we starting using the last four digits of the
library's SAN number.  That won't work nationwide but so far it has
worked for us.  If a number is in use, you can decide if you are perhaps
geographically different enough to go ahead and use that number.

And where do patron barcodes come from?  From the same place item
barcodes come from.  You can buy and/or create matching item and patron
barcodes once you have your pattern, i.e. patron numbers all start with
"2" and item numbers all start with "3", the next four digits are your
identifier, then fill 0s as needed for the length of the barcode
sequence, the accession number and maybe a check digit.   We've found
Koha will take pretty much anything.  It's the library that needs the
pattern and the organization.

Don't know if this is TMI but the registry might be useful for some.

Best,

Becki

---
Becki Whitaker
Midwest Collaborative for Library Services (MCLS)
6202 Morenci Trail
Indianapolis, IN 46268
317-298-6570 x106 / 800-733-1899 (IN only) / fax: 317-328-2380
whitakerb at mcls.org / www.mcls.org / scion.incolsa.net