[Koha] Seeking opinions on the OPAC MARC views

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Sat Aug 7 03:09:20 NZST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Kurt Bodling <kbodling at mountvernon.org> wrote:
> As a librarian, I like being able to check the MARC coding of a record
> (mine or that in other libraries).

Is the "raw" MARC view the one you prefer for this? As opposed to this one?

http://catalog.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?biblionumber=363

> But, also as a librarian, I would like to make this go away so that
> fields I code as "hidden" are completely hidden, even from the prying
> eyes of other librarians.

The above view (opac-MARCdetail.pl) respects the visibility settings
you can configure in your MARC framework. So if you edit a tag's
subfield structure and set the "hidden" value so that it does not
display in the OPAC, it won't. However, these rules are not respected
by the "raw" modal MARC view.

> Too improve usability, it would be good if I could cut and paste from
> that view. The expanded MARC view doesn't supply the tags necessary to,
> um, 'borrow' other people's cataloging work.

If you're trying to borrow from a Koha library, why not use the "Save
record" option?

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer