[Koha] Seeking opinions on the OPAC MARC views

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 04:23:08 NZST 2010

2010/8/6 Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org>

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Kurt Bodling <kbodling at mountvernon.org>
> wrote:
> > As a librarian, I like being able to check the MARC coding of a record
> > (mine or that in other libraries).
>
> Is the "raw" MARC view the one you prefer for this? As opposed to this one?
>

> http://catalog.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-MARCdetail.pl?biblionumber=363
>
> > But, also as a librarian, I would like to make this go away so that
> > fields I code as "hidden" are completely hidden, even from the prying
> > eyes of other librarians.
>
> The above view (opac-MARCdetail.pl) respects the visibility settings
> you can configure in your MARC framework. So if you edit a tag's
> subfield structure and set the "hidden" value so that it does not
> display in the OPAC, it won't. However, these rules are not respected
> by the "raw" modal MARC view.
>
> > Too improve usability, it would be good if I could cut and paste from
> > that view. The expanded MARC view doesn't supply the tags necessary to,
> > um, 'borrow' other people's cataloging work.
>
> If you're trying to borrow from a Koha library, why not use the "Save
> record" option?
>
>  -- Owen
>
> --
> Web Developer
> Athens County Public Libraries
> http://www.myacpl.org

More steps. (Save record, click save, wait for the download, find wherever
in God's name Firefox put the file, go to the koha import tool, import it,
click import, import the staged import, wait for zebra to reindex, click on
the record, click edit). As far as I know, this is... tedious. I could be
wrong, but I think this method involves a fair number of clicks.

The cataloger at my library uses raw MARC views a lot because of the textual
MARC editor we use. Obviously, this won't apply to every library (though I'm
trying to get this out into the world), but raw MARC views make a lot of
copy cataloging easier.

--
Jesse Weaver