[Koha] Questions on upgrading from Koha 3.0.1 to 3.0.2/3

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Sep 22 22:03:39 NZST 2009

Bibliotecario Casa Balthasar asked
> My first question is, I hope, relatively simple:  Can we upgrade directly to
> 3.00.03 from 3.00.01, or would it be better/more prudent to pass for 3.00.02
> first?

I think you should be fine going to 3.00.03, but back up everything
and if it fails, installing 3.00.02 might help to identify the
problem by narrowing the search.

> The second question is, given that we've modified some files (for example,
> in
> /usr/share/koha/intranet/htdocs/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/cataloguing/value_builder,
> we've modified the plugins for the leader and 008 so that it's possible to
> use, e.g. |-No attempt to code per Festchrift), what's the best way to
> handle the upgrade?  Is it possible to make changes to files from the
> upgrade tarball before the make upgrade or is it necessary to go ahead with
> the upgrade and then follow-up afterwards readding the changes we've made?

If you've not used git revision control, I think the best way is to
unpack the original 3.00.01 source, take a copy of your modified
3.00.01 source, do the upgrade and then use a "three-way merge with
ancestor" tool on the directories containing the modifications.  Emacs
has one called Ediff
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/ediff/index.html#Top
but I expect other pretty ones are available.  Again, backup everything.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software