[Koha] installing Koha 3, bulk marc import v. staged

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 04:53:32 NZST 2009

2009/9/9 Amy Schuler <schulera at caryinstitute.org>

>  Hello,
>
> I have installed Koha 3.0 and am close to importing my MARC records into
> the database.  My question is this:  somewhere I have read that it is
> recommended that for the initial big import, one should use the Bulk Marc
> Import tool (which I believe is a command line thing) rather than the
> staging MARC records.  During my trial run, I had used the staging &
> importing tools rather than the bulk marc import.  Is there a very
> compelling reason to use the bulk?  During my trial run it turns out that I
> did not populate the database, but that was because I messed up some of the
> system parameters – not because of any issue with the staging & importing
> tools.
>

> I would rather not use the bulk marc import, if avoidable, because it is
> more techy than the staging & importing.  I have less than 10,000 records to
> import.  Let me know if you need more information.
>

> And PLEASE, if you are affiliated with a company trawling this list for
> potential clients, do not contact me!  I will not return your phone calls or
> e-mails.  If I need paid support, I will hire LibLime, whose employees have
> the decency not to harass me whenever I post a question to this list
> (thanks, LibLime).
>

> Amy
>

> Amy C. Schuler
>
> Manager of Information Services
>
> Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
>
> PO Box AB
>
> Millbrook, NY  12545
>
> (845) 677-7600 x164
>
> schulera at caryinstitute.org <schulera at ecostudies.org>

Right now, the bulkmarcimport.pl command-line script is slightly better at
pointing out errors, and a bit faster, as it directly imports the bib
records into the database rather than staging them first. The Stage MARC
Records for Import tool has a bad tendency to fail silently when it
encounters corrupted records or other errors.

--
Jesse Weaver