[Koha] My Koha doesn't work when net connection switched off

Krishnan M kmlist at yahoo.in
Wed Jan 14 04:29:23 NZDT 2009

Hello Vimal,

What Anand has mentioned below may work for you.
I thought i'd add the known "guaranteed" way that things will work, purely from the TCP/IP perspective.

1) Ensure your server's hostname is set correctly. Try the command 'hostname' and if it seems incorrect, create a text file: /etc/hostname
or reset your hostname using the command:
/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname

Verify again using the command hostname

2) Ensure your /etc/hosts file has the correct entries.
In general, it must contain at the minimum:
one line with the IP address assigned to your network interface (usually eth0) and hostname
one line with the loopback address (127.0.0.1) and the special name 'localhost'

The IP addresses and names must be separated by at least a space (usually a tab)

You can add other hostnames to the hosts file, but for now, keep it simple.
Once you save your hosts file, try a simple ping for the hostnames that you have assigned within this file to see if your server "resolves" them to IP addresses which it will then ping

3) Lastly, in your virtual hosts entries replace any IP addresses that Koha may have used when generating these files during installation with your hostname.

4) Re-start Apache and check if it reports any errors during startup. Also, remember that the command '/usr/sbin/apachectl -t' reports any errors with Apache configuration, so you may want to do that before re-starting Apache.

If all is fine, you should be able to open up a browser (or telnet session) on your server itself first and check whether you can reach Koha on the server itself, using just the hostname and port in the URL

5) If this works, move to another computer on the network. Before you do so, you may have to open up firewall ports on your server to let traffic through on the ports for Koha

6) If you use a DNS server on the network, enter the hostname and the IP address for your Koha server and ensure that the DNS has picked up the new records.

7) If not, you will need to enter the hostname and IP address into the hosts file (yes, even Windows machines have one, typically at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc). The test of entries made to hosts file is always to try and see if the machine can "resolve" the hostname to the IP address you assigned.

8) Once this is done, fire up the browser on the computer and access the Koha server over the network using the hostname.

i know this should be somewhere in documentation, i am planning to submit a HOW-TO for Fedora install soon that does contain this information.

Regards,
krishnan