[Koha] Koha and UTF-8 (again)

Thommy M. thommym at at-hardeberga.com
Wed Jan 7 04:38:52 NZDT 2009

Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> Hi Thommy,
>
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:19 AM, "Thommy M. Malmström"
> <thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was to quick to say YES (Sorry Paul, no flowers). All my problems
>> wasn't solved by setting it Latin1. As there are so many parameters it's
>> almost impossible to keep track of all changes. I'm doing the standard
>> thing of changing just one parameter at the time but it grows to a three
>> that is extremely big. There are at least 4 different major places to
>> set the character encoding schema and that yields 4!=24 different
>> combinations. It's just to much as I have to kill the database and start
>> the perl installer.pl part over each time...
> 3.0 is the only UNICODE safe version of Koha. Getting 2.2.9 in a
> UNICODE safe state would require a lot of effort, modifications to the
> database definitions, templates, and Perl modules. I'd highly suggest
> you upgrade to 3.0, which has a lot of other improvements.

Well, I suppose I'll have to give up on 2.2.9, however my users
(librarians) are not easy to convince.

I also think I'll have another set of million problems as I have to
convert the current database (in latin1) to the new and utf8. This is
NOT easy and the docs seems not accurate.

But I'll give it a try later...