[Koha] Koha and UTF-8 (again)

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 05:37:43 NZDT 2009

> I also think I'll have another set of million problems as I have to
> convert the current database (in latin1) to the new and utf8. This is
> NOT easy and the docs seems not accurate.

You are correct this is a burdensome task.  The wiki describes how to handle
the conversion in-place in the same DB version.  Last I checked, it did not
describe migrating and converting at the same time.  I would suggest
approaching the UTF8-conversion as a separate task from the Koha upgrade.
I'm not sure which order would be best, but I would be tempted to work on
the data conversion before the upgrade so that you can identify any problems
from that in a version of Koha known to you.

Perhaps someone who has done more 2.2 -> 3.0 upgrades can offer their
wisdom....

-Joe