[Koha] z39.50 searching - Permanent system error

Max Crowe newdurhamlibrary at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 06:32:42 NZST 2008

Hi:

I'm having trouble when I do z39.50 searching.  Certain servers-- the New
York Public Library [catnyp.nypl.org], or the Aurora Public Library [
odyssey.aurora.lib.co.us] for example-- will yield hits for results, but
then only give me the message:

1: Permanent system error: Permanent system error: Bib-1

I don't know that this is a bug, really, but I'm trying to figure out
exactly what is happening.  Question one:  what does this error actually
mean?  It seems to occur consistently for certain searches (ISBN-13
978-1-59722-733-9, for example gives me the error for both Aurora and the
NYP consistently) while other searches can run through the same servers
without a hitch.  Is the "system" error my system, or theirs?  Or is there
some sort of compatibility issue?  Two:  beyond figuring out what's
happening, I ideally would love to be able use z39.50 with these systems--
are other libraries able to accomplish this?

Anyone else experienced this issue?  There seem to be lots of servers that
yield this error message-- I just listed these two as an example.
(Incidentially, I'm using Koha 3.00.00.107)

Max Crowe
Library Director
New Durham Public Library