[Koha] Community Feedback

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Dec 20 01:23:26 NZDT 2008

"Joshua Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote: [...]
> Now what do you mean MJ is all over QA. Can you point to some specific
> patches or emails, I just don't know what you mean. My perception is
> that most (all?) of the QA work has been done by Andy and Galen.

Maybe in the main repository but that's mainly because we have no
access.  I'm doing a hell of a lot of QA for customers and friends
(probably 90% QA and 10% development which is not how I want to be
working) so we've a very stable local koha branch but the changes have
not been getting pushed upstream quickly because we felt our funders'
priorities (usually stability) and the koha.org release managers'
priorities (usually new features) seem different enough to make that
difficult and I hate trying to negotiate with LibLime developers when
I don't have enough resources to do it well and now apparently I've
broken TTLLP's public repository so people can't even pull from there
(not that any release managers have ever seemed interested in that)
and there just aren't enough hours in the day because...

> 3.0 quite literally nearly bankrupted LibLime, [...]

while the same isn't true for TTLLP (as I understand it, it's very
very difficult to bankrupt a cooperative), 3.0 has put us in a Very
Bad Place that we're only just fully recovering from.  I haven't even
had time to read koha list mail more than once a week lately.

Oops - the above sentence was too long but hopefully you get my drift.

As for user-led (rather than customer-led) development, I'd like to
see users gather themselves into a user cooperative and give money to
it and then vote on what tasks to buy with that money.  If any users
are interested and need help finding their local equivalent of
Somerset Cooperative Services, CDA Anywhere, NCBA or such, email me,
IM/jabber me, or so on.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)