[Koha] Newbie with lots o' questions

George Adams g_adams27 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 03:53:19 NZST 2007

Hello, all!  I'm trying to get our church's small (i.e. 50-200 items)
library online, and I'm spending this week trying to figure out how I'm
going to do it.  I've pretty much decided it's either going to be:
1) Koha, or
2) some application I write myself in Perl or PHP.

I have Koha 2.2.9 set up on my Gentoo Linux (2.6.20) server (w/MySQL 5), and
I'm trying to figure out... well, how Koha works, really.  The guides on
kohadocs.org have been useful, but they're incomplete on some things I need
to figure out.

If anyone can answer any of these questions, I'd be very grateful!

- When an item is placed on reserve, how does the librarian receive a
notification of that?  (i.e. what tells him/her to go get the book off the
shelf and put it on the reserve shelf?)

- Also, when an item is placed on reserve, it still shows up in search
listings with a status of "Available".  Is that normal?  Is there a way to
have it show up as "Reserved", so nobody gets frustrated trying to find it
on the shelf?

- Can Koha prompt us to remove certain items from the reserve desk? (i.e.
"The following reserved items have been held for 7 days without being picked
up by the patron, and can therefore be placed back into circulation...")

- Finally, although I downloaded the latest version of Koha I could find
(2.2.9), I hear phrases dropped like "dev_week" or "Koha 3" that make me
wonder if there's a newer, better version of Koha I can get...?  For
instance, the Nelsonville Public Library website
(http://search.athenscounty.lib.oh.us/) looks much nicer than my Koha test
site, even with my using the "npl" templates.  Is that sort of look/feel
only available with a commercial Koha product, or can I download something
that will give me a similarly pretty site?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get deeper into Koha, but this is a
start.  Thanks!