[Koha-win32] Re: [Koha] Tag 880

Carol Ku carolcool01 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 10:41:35 NZDT 2006

You are perfectly right.  I noticed that most libraries such as Library of Congress, they represent Chinese pinyin in tag 100, and this piece of info is linked to tag 880 $6100 and with other related subfields etc...

  We would like to do the following:

  1) save the pinyin and Chinese in Koha.
  2) Display Chinese info in OPAC
  3) Allow user to search using pinyin if they don't have Chinese input

  Since Koha display only one line item for title, author etc, we are thinking may be we need to use MARCEdit to tweak tag 100 to 880 $6100.  I was advised by others that I should instead designate new tag e.g. 900 for tag 880 $6100, 901 for tag 880 $6245 etc.

  To make things more complicated, MARCEdit does not seem to recognize the $6 link either.  So it will treat all tag 880 as one tag.
Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
  On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 12:26:29PM -0800, Carol Ku wrote:
> i think the $6 linking field is different from a regular
> subfield a, b or c
> etc.
>
> In MARC, all the information on the book will be stored in the native
> language in tag 880. Then they use $6 linking field to tie 880 to tag 100
> for Name etc... so e.g. 880 $6100 a.... so this tag means information
> stored here is the author name (designated by code $6100) in e.g Chinese.
> $6 is not a regular subfield....
OK ... first let's discuss what you're trying to do. I have had two
years of Chinese language classes so I know that there are several
ways to represent Chinese. Are you attempting to put 'pinyin' in the
100a and then link to the actual characters in 880? What is your goal
in using the 880?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology migration, training, maintenance, support

http://mail.yahoo.com