[Koha] importing, marc mapping, progress

M Brooke Helman mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Mon Aug 9 05:45:54 NZST 2004

Salvete!

>In the latest "unstable" scripting of Koha that Nelsonville is using
for
>its OPAC, the non-indexed characters (e.g. "the" and "a") as defined by
>the indicators in the MARC record are used to provide a "true"
>alphabetical title list -- see http://koha.athenscounty.lib.oh.us. The
>"unititle" would be a "uniform title" that differed from the title on a
>particular edition of a work. For instance, the title on the book may
be
>"John Doe's Ward and Piece," but the standard (uniform) title for the
book
>is "Ward and Piece."

That is saaaweet! The anal retentive filer in me has been waiting for
this to happen.

>BTW, notice also that NPL is now listing _all_ of the notes from all of
>the MARC note fields on the OPAC detail page. Once we get the code a
>little cleaner and more universal (so it works for UNIMARC or no-MARC
>libraries), we'll be committing it to CVS. NPL is also looking into
>doing the same thing with all of the MARC subject tags, thus bypassing
the
>Koha tables to pull information directly from the MARC tables.

Hey, have you been spying on my wish list? ;) It's great that this stuff
is getting done. This project gets more viable everyday. Thanks so much
folks! I truly have seen better results from Koha than commercial
products.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA