[Koha] One somewhat discussion-y question

C.S. Hayward c.s.hayward at protonmail.com
Thu Jul 14 07:39:28 NZST 2022

Using HTTPS for routine web activity is no longer the future of the web; it is the present of the web. Firefox displays intimidating warnings, comparable to an invalid certificate warnings, before letting you access an HTTP connection that cannot be upgraded to HTTPS.

It's not clear to me whether there are any particularly good ways to get a certificate for a server on the LAN. I can see some duct-tape-y switching DNS entries so that you get a Let's Encrypt certificate which is served up for a library.[your domain here] server, but I can't think of any good way to use it.

This would seem to mean that the practice of running a server, available on the LAN as 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, is a casualty of the web being upgraded to HTTPS for normal use. I can see obvious ways of restricting use to a LAN (by limiting connections to a single IP or IP range for a NATted LAN), but just putting something on a LAN at a 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x address looks to me like a casualty of change.

For what it's worth...

Br. C.S. Hayward, https://cjshayward.com