[Koha] One somewhat discussion-y question

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Thu Jul 14 08:29:15 NZST 2022

I definitely agree it makes little sense anymore to deploy an HTTP only
option, and my own apache config for koha has the HTTP ports set to
redirect to HTTPS.

If this really is a LAN-only installation, with no public access, then you
are also likely to have control over the machines accessing the service and
can force them to trust a self-signed certificate from the koha server, at
least as far as the circulation/staff workstations and any library-provided
public access catalog stations are concerned. If this also includes the
OPAC catalog for guests, if it really is internal-LAN-only then a number of
public wifi solutions will allow you to include a captive portal that can
check certificate availability before granting internet access, and deploy
the needed certificate as part of onboarding.

I am sympathetic, though, to the argument that the same libraries lacking
IT capabilities for a public catalog also likely lack capabilities to
implement quality wifi onboarding. The LetsEncrypt certificates are free,
it's not hard or expensive to buy a domain and get help once to set things
up to forward a port from the public internet connection to an internal
server so LetsEncrypt can do domain validation. But it's another thing
entirely to be sure your server is hardened and sufficiently
monitored/maintained in a way you can be comfortable exposing it to the
public internet, and not every library can do that. Sometimes there are
other reasons to keep a catalog private for local patrons only, too. I feel
like the major web browsers are right to implement warnings about HTTP
traffic, but too aggressive about including those warnings for traffic to
non-routable IPs... but it's not something we have the power to change, so
those smaller libraries will have to find a way to live within the new
world.

*Joel Coehoorn*
York University* | *Director of Information Technology
Office: 402-363-5603 | @YUITDept <https://twitter.com/YUITDept>

*The mission of York University is to transform lives through
Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
God, family and society*.