[Koha] Case Sensitivity and Koha SQL Statements

Charles Kelley cmkelleymls at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 17:35:33 NZDT 2021

Hello, all!

    In my previous experience with SQL, case did not matter, but here it
does?

    I've been tearing out my hair -- and I'm bald -- for the last several
hours over a reported syntax error in a SQL statement I have been
composing. It turns out that it wasn't a syntax error, per se -- and I
studied for a doctorate in theoretical syntax -- rather a case sensitivity
error.

    The portion of the statement at hand is

... WHERE items.itype = <<Item type|ITEMTYPES>>

    It turns out "ITEMTYPES" ought to be written "itemtypes". Only through
trial and error did I learn that some identifiers are case sensitive. I
sought in the Koha wiki confirmation, refutation, and qualification that
CASE INDEED MATTERS IN IDENTIFIERS, but I could not find anything about
that.

    If case does indeed matter, please update the online and print SQL
manual(s) accordingly. I would not have spent two hours on this if the
correct word had been used in the error message. So please adjust the
wording, too.

    Many thanks.

--

    気を付けて。 /ki wo tukete/ = Take care.

    -- Charles.

    Charles Kelley, MLS
    PSC 704 Box 1029
    APO AP 96338

    Charles Kelley
    Tsukimino 1-Chome 5-2
    Tsukimino Gaadenia #210
    Yamato-shi, Kanagawa-ken
    〒242-0002 JAPAN

    +1-301-741-7122 [US cell]
    +81-80-4356-2178 [JPN cell]

    mnogojazyk at aol.com [h]
    cmkelleymls at gmail.com [p]

    linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls <http://www.linkedin.com/in/cmkelleymls>
    Meeting Your Information Needs. Virtually.