[Koha] Help debugging Internal Server Error

skaman.tx at gmail.com skaman.tx at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:32:53 NZDT 2021

Hey Doug,

I misspoke a bit below.  My upgrade is from 20.06 to 20.11 and I am on Debian Stretch.  The Koha update/upgrade gives me a fit.  I've held back the koha-common update since 20.06 because it fails when updating the database schema during the package install and breaks Koha altogether.  It appears the package installer does not do full checks of some of the config files when it is doing the database updates and fails when it hits a missing database column or the such.  One thing I am finding on Koha upgrades in Debian is if you have consistently accepted the installed version of the config files when doing updates, the result is missing config information.  For example, in koha-conf.xml I had a missing log4perl_conf entry that crashed the upgrade.  This entry was apparently added in a prior upgrade, but I answered "Y" to keep the existing koha-conf.xml file all along so it was not added. I fixed that issue, but other database structure errors still persist when I try to upgrade to 20.11.

Note that I've even done a clean koha install of 20.11 on a clean install of Buster and tried importing the database from 19.05 into the clean install.  I run koha-upgrade-schema on the imported database but still no dice.  I still get some errors and Koha will not display any information even after reindexing in Zebra.

I think it would be nice if the Debian package updates did some critical checks to ensure keeping the existing koha-conf.xml, or any other config files, will break koha in the end.

Sorry if my mistake about going from 19.05 to 20.11 causes you any inconvenience.  Our problems look similar in some ways and that is why I jumped in.  I recall some database upgrade errors in Debian going from 19.05 to 20.06 but they did not tank Koha altogether.  20.06 to 20.11 though is another story.

Scott