[Koha] Two problems with cover images: rotation and scaling

André Hartmann andrehartmann at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 11 19:41:31 NZDT 2021

Hello,

  I have two problems with local cover images in our KOHA instance (18.05.14.000). They concern rotation and scaling of the images.

  1.  When uploading a local cover image which is in portrait mode (i.e. width is smaller than height), KOHA will display this image in the catalogue rotated 90°, i.e. in landscape mode... so you have to twist your neck to read it. Very inconvenient! Is there a way to avoid this? I scanned the system preferences but I could not find anything whose name suggests it has anything to do with that. When I upload images in landscape mode, they remain upright, so everything is fine. Images uploaded are jpg, size seems irrelevant.

  1.  The upladed images get scaled down, resolution is lost significantly. I am aware that KOHA displays images as thumbnails and when you click on them supposedly in full size. But even the full size view has lost resolution. When a cover image contains a photo of the table of contents from a book, this cannot be read anymore when viewed in KOHA... but the picture before upload is very clear. Is there a way to control the downsizing/scaling, that KOHA obviously applies here?

Thanks in avdance,

André Hartmann
KOHA admin of the libraries of the Berlin astronomical observatories