[Koha] Unexpected behaviour in 942 $h (3.14)

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Thu Sep 25 05:40:03 NZST 2014

We're running 3.14.06.000

When editing a catalogue record, we manually type in the contents of the
942$h (call number).  This is usually the last thing that is added before
saving the record, otherwise we might not have seen what happens next.
Just after you hit save and before you are presented with the item record
screen a space and numeral 1 appear after the call number.

Here it is in a record - the call number should be only "AP" as it is in
the 099 field.

=LDR  00885nam a22002417a 4500
=001  201409241538.nw
=003  UkLoVW
=005  20140924154908.0
=008  140924s1760\\\\enkag\\\\\\\\\001\0\eng\d
=040  \\$aUkLoVW$beng$cUkLoVW
=099  \\$aAP
=245  \\$aThe universal magazine of knowledge and pleasure, vol. XXVll
:$bcontaining news, letters, debates, poetry, musick... /
=260  \\$aLondon :$bJohn Hinton,$c[1760].
=300  \\$a379 p. :$bill., music ;$c21 cm.
=500  \\$aCovers the period July-December 1760, in monthly parts. Includes
some dances and songs.
=650  \7$9159$aEighteenth century
=650  \7$9238$aHistory
=650  10$913332$aLeisure
=650  \7$9117$aCountry dances
=850  \\$aUkLoVW
=942  \\$2VWML$cBK$hAP 1$n0$6AP0001
=999  \\$c65230$d65230
=952
 \\$w2014-09-24$p3234$r2014-09-24$40$6AP$924682$bVWML$10$oAP$d2014-09-24$71$cLC$2VWML$yBK$00$aVWML

I have noticed that it is also adding a $6 with AP0001.
We have $6 set to ignore in the framework.

To add to the strangeness, the 1 sometimes appears only as you are saving,
but does not remain in the MARC after you have saved the record.  But
sometimes it does. Just as an experiment, I duplicated the above record.
The 1 appeared during the save process, but did not appear in the saved
duplicated record.
What's more, when I try to replicate the problem by creating a new record
(either with a Z39.50 download or original cataloguing) it doesn't happen.
The cataloguer tells me that it doesn't always happen when he creates
records either and that if he's persistent enough he can eventually delete
the extra space and 1.

I asked him to keep track of the records that have this problem, perhaps
with more than one example, we can see a pattern.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it have anything to do with ignoring
subfield 6?

Because I can't replicate this problem I haven't been able to test it in
3.16 which we're running on our test site.
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)