[Koha] Is it recommended to use Lubuntu Server on a production server koha?

Mirko 5p4m at gmx.de
Tue Mar 19 07:37:53 NZDT 2013

sheldon_tappin schrieb am 18.03.2013
> Is the recommendation based on the default settings such as the
> username and password? If so we can make the changes to make the
> system more secure. If not, we'll definitely have to seek another
> alternative.

You are running a live CD in production with the default username
and password at the moment? If you do, yes, you should change that
immediately.

A live CD is inherently old the minute the image is produced and
people usually stay on that version forever. As you said yourself,
you upgraded from 3.02 to 3.10. These versions are several years, a
lot of features, even more bugs and several security issues apart.

> Also is Lubuntu a good Linux distribution to use in a production
> environment?

I have never used Lubuntu. The recommended way to install Koha is
using Debian packages, either on Debian Squeeze or alternatively on
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I assume that Lubuntu 12.04 would work too. It is
not really necessary to have a graphic environment on a server
though, most people spare the resources needed for that.

You can learn about Koha installation with packages on
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_3.x_on_Debian_Squeeze
A package installation of Koha is easy to install and maintain with
basic knowledge of GNU/Linux.

-- Mirko