[Koha] Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Emrys Minnig emrysminnig at varndean.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 00:51:20 NZDT 2011

At our school, I've set the category code of each patron type to the year of their graduation and the category name to the name of the year they are in.  For example, Year 11 (the year of graduation here) has a category code of '2012' and and description of 'Year 11'.  At the beginning of the year, we increment the description by one year.  In the past, I've done this manually, but I'll probably set it up as a cron soon.  Category codes that are less than the current year can be purged in bulk as necessary (also cron-able).

At our school, students keep their same form tutor for throughout their years, so I store the intials of their form tutor in the 'sort1' field of their patron records, as forms here are designated by these initials.  Obviously, if their form tutor leaves, I have to update this field via MySQL.  I use sort2 to store their 'house', as all forms are divided into four different 'houses', so it's useful to be able to run reports on which houses are our top library users (for inter-house competitions, etc.)

Naturally, from this it's probably obvious that whatever method gets the job done within the framework of your school is the 'best practise'.  Even within my city, these frameworks vary widely...

Emrys