[Koha] Best practice for registering pupils in a school library?

Nora Blake nblake at masslibsystem.org
Fri Oct 7 04:12:15 NZDT 2011

Hi Marcus,

We've got a number of schools in our shared Koha system.  We started using
Koha before extended patron attributes were available, so we steered our
libraries to using the sort 1 and sort 2 fields of the patron record.  We
actually format and load the patron records on behalf of our library staff
(we don't really like to let them muck around the system).  We encourage the
libraries to use the year of graduation rather than the grade level.  Using
grade level requires changing the records every year -- this isn't a huge
problem, but it just means more work and more maintenance of the record.

We use sort field 1 for year of graduation and sort field 2 for home room
number or advisor name or whatever other information the schools deem
pertinent.

We have the sort fields display on overdue notices so the librarians can
compile them and hand them out and we use the sort fields for reports of all
kinds.

We thought about using different patron types for each grade level but have
shied away from doing that so far.  It seems messy.  We have talked with
some elementary schools who like to control circulation by grade level -- so
Grade 1 kids can take 1 book out for 1 week, Grade 2 kids can take 3 books
our for 2 weeks, Grade 3 kids can take 5 books out for 2 weeks, etc.  If any
of these elementary schools end up joining our group and we cannot convince
them to give up on the intensity of their circulation policies, then we
probably will create patron types by grade level so they can control the
heck out of their circulation.

I hope this helps.

Nora

Nora Blake