[Koha] Sirsi in NZ!

Lee Phillips lphillips at buttepubliclibrary.info
Wed May 4 04:59:15 NZST 2011

Greetings to all my Koha pals, esp. MJ and Paul!!!
As a library admin person I had put together the criteria for RFPs for
our ILS search. Of course I already knew about Koha and Evergreen, so I
could add specifications in the RFP that only FOSS could meet. Is that
fair? Yes I believe it is. MJ is right the lack of technical expertise
on the part of procurement leads to the path of least resistance for the
support staff who prefer someone else to blame when things don't work,
instead of learning, contributing and evolving. I think this would be an
EXCELLENT topic for a presentation at KohaCon-" How to write a RFP that
is vendor/ FOSS neutral". I was able to decide what was best for my
library and ask the vendors to meet that expectation. The question that
ALWAYS favors FOSS is "Do I control my records and will it cost me to
retrieve them if I move to another vendor?" I am unaware of any option
other than FOSS that can answer that question in the affirmative.
As a public librarian it is imperative for me to control the data. Or NO
deal.
And MJ, you are so right about all "free crap" passed out at conferences
by vendors"made in China" or a 3rd world country...etc...
I am most proud of my FOSS stickers on my netbook cover from KohaCon 10.
Almost as good as a tattoo!
Cheers all
Lee Phillips
Butte Public Library