[Koha] Question about cutter classification

Marilen Corciovei marilen.corciovei at nemesisit.ro
Fri Feb 25 00:52:01 NZDT 2011

Hello everybody,

We are trying to migrate an old proprietary software to Koha and one of
the "requirements" of the librarians is something called "author sign"
or "cutter number". The librarian manual I've consulted describes the
process of creating this number using a table. This table contains for
each letter 99 combinations of starting letters or syllables. For a
bibliographic entry the starting letters of the name of the first author
or the title is used to search in this table. Then the first letter and
the resulting number is used as this code which has as purpose to
simplify shelving.

I was wondering if someone implemented such an algorithm in Koha in
order to validate my assumptions for the requirements to implement such
a field:

- marc storage. Which marc field was used? (we are using unimarc)
- formula. Was this implemented as a combo with all the values or as a
value builder field plugin which calculates automatically the value? The
algorithm is clear but there are some exceptions which are not quite
obvious such as how this is calculated for a title starting with
numbers. The manual states that for 1001 it uses "one thousand and one"
as text.

Thank you for any hints,

Kind regards,
Len