[Koha] LibLime responses to some of yesterdays postings

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri Sep 17 06:54:34 NZST 2010

2010/9/16 John Yokley <jyokley at ptfs.com>:
> LibLime is very encouraged at the amount of positive discussion that our
> post has generated and I will attempt to answer some of the questions that
> have been raised.  We agree that Kohacon could be a very appropriate and
> productive forum to expand discussions on how to best set up a Koha
> Foundation.  I would request that preliminary discussions start prior to
> that if possible, so that we would have a better sense of the agenda and the
> preparation required for Kohacon.  Would it be possible to hold a meeting of
> some kind in the next few weeks?

I'm repeating part of a previous response of mine here in order to
ensure that the points are not missed. I have also made an additional
point or two within.

What we really need now is not more talk and discussion, but concrete
proposals to consider.

In light of this, I move that those with serious proposals post them
on the wiki and announce the posting on all interested lists so that
interested parties can begin the process of due diligence in
consideration and research. If this approach is acted upon quickly
then there will be some real meat to chew on during KohaCon10.
Otherwise, it we will probably just be spinning our wheels. (The wiki
provides the most ideal environment for this sort of thing.)

I really see no need for a IRC meeting to discuss these issues yet as
there is really nothing of any substance to discuss, and we may end up
missing any one of a number of important points, etc.

So I further move that all individuals/corporations wishing to make
proposals have them posted in a complete form by 11 October 2010. This
gives two full weeks before the start of KohaCon for an initial period
of research, consideration, etc.

While I do not think that we need to expect any sort of final decision
to arise out of KohaCon, I do think that we should (as with previous
decisions) set a deadline for a final vote on this matter. Perhaps
01/01/2011 might be good. In any case, we should not rush nor drag our
feet.

Here are a few additional, personal thoughts:

I'd love to see PTFS/LibLime's proposal with all of the details.

I'd also like to see a proposal by HLT of what they would like
considering that they are the originators of Koha and know best what
they had in mind when they released it to the community.

Furthermore, I'd like to see a variety of proposals from those in
other countries represented in the community.

It would also be nice for proposals to include factual legal support
for why this new organization should be based in the proposed country.
(This would keep us from speculating.)

I think that a high level of detail and research given in and to a
proposal will help avoid a variety of issues as this unfolds.

Kind Regards,
Chris