[Koha] LibLime responses to some of yesterdays postings

vtl at scls.lib.wi.us vtl at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Sep 17 07:23:19 NZST 2010

I'm wondering if it would be possible to work out a joint proposal via one
or two IRC chats prior to Kohacon.  I don't quite understand why individual
parties need to prepare proposals.  I would prefer to see a joint effort
that satisfieds all parties involved.

However, I'm admittedly very naive as to how a foundation should be set up.
So, if protocol requires individual proposals, could a chat or two be held
where people share their ideas of what should be included in the proposals?

At the very least, I would like to know what will happen with these
proposals.  Will we be "voting" on them as presented?  Will there be some
type of integration done to get the best from all of them?

Some of us may need a little more help than others to come up to speed on
this process.  I have tried to do some self-education on open source
foundations, but there is a lot of information out there and apparently
different types of foundations.  I have participated in some IRC meetings,
but apparently not the ones where foundations were discussed, or it went
over my head.  Would someone be willing to compile the previous discussions
into one document that is readily accessible?

Vicki

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Chris Nighswonger <
cnighswonger at foundations.edu> wrote:

> 2010/9/16 John Yokley <jyokley at ptfs.com>:
> > LibLime is very encouraged at the amount of positive discussion that our
> > post has generated and I will attempt to answer some of the questions
> that
> > have been raised.  We agree that Kohacon could be a very appropriate and
> > productive forum to expand discussions on how to best set up a Koha
> > Foundation.  I would request that preliminary discussions start prior to
> > that if possible, so that we would have a better sense of the agenda and
> the
> > preparation required for Kohacon.  Would it be possible to hold a meeting
> of
> > some kind in the next few weeks?
> >

> I'm repeating part of a previous response of mine here in order to
> ensure that the points are not missed. I have also made an additional
> point or two within.
>
> What we really need now is not more talk and discussion, but concrete
> proposals to consider.
>
> In light of this, I move that those with serious proposals post them
> on the wiki and announce the posting on all interested lists so that
> interested parties can begin the process of due diligence in
> consideration and research. If this approach is acted upon quickly
> then there will be some real meat to chew on during KohaCon10.
> Otherwise, it we will probably just be spinning our wheels. (The wiki
> provides the most ideal environment for this sort of thing.)
>
> I really see no need for a IRC meeting to discuss these issues yet as
> there is really nothing of any substance to discuss, and we may end up
> missing any one of a number of important points, etc.
>
> So I further move that all individuals/corporations wishing to make
> proposals have them posted in a complete form by 11 October 2010. This
> gives two full weeks before the start of KohaCon for an initial period
> of research, consideration, etc.
>
> While I do not think that we need to expect any sort of final decision
> to arise out of KohaCon, I do think that we should (as with previous
> decisions) set a deadline for a final vote on this matter. Perhaps
> 01/01/2011 might be good. In any case, we should not rush nor drag our
> feet.
>
> Here are a few additional, personal thoughts:
>
> I'd love to see PTFS/LibLime's proposal with all of the details.
>
> I'd also like to see a proposal by HLT of what they would like
> considering that they are the originators of Koha and know best what
> they had in mind when they released it to the community.
>
> Furthermore, I'd like to see a variety of proposals from those in
> other countries represented in the community.
>
> It would also be nice for proposals to include factual legal support
> for why this new organization should be based in the proposed country.
> (This would keep us from speculating.)
>
> I think that a high level of detail and research given in and to a
> proposal will help avoid a variety of issues as this unfolds.

> [...]

Vicki Teal Lovely

Helping our 52 member libraries provide the best possible service to the
public.

ILS Project Manager
South Central Library System
Madison, WI