[Koha] Mapping a string description to "Damaged Status"

Peter Huerter pete.huerter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:05:07 NZDT 2010

We are trying to figure out how to map a string description of the condition
of our books into MARC21 so that it shows up for the user in the OPAC view
of a book (i.e. under the Expanded MARC view).

We deal with many rare and out-of-print books.  We would like the
description of the condition of a book to show up under "Damaged Status"
which is currently represented in the SQL 'items' table as a boolean
tinyint, 1==DAMAGED.  We would like this to say something like for example
"extensive water damage", or "fair".

We are currently using 952$z to stash our own keyword strings (so that a
z39.50 lookup/merge will not overwrite our own custom search strings), so
using this field is out.

I understand that the condition of a particular book is considered "item
data", and should not be mapped to bib fields so I am currently mapping our
condition descriptions to 852$q "Piece physical description".  This seems
right to me (or at least close), but I'm not sure how to force OPAC to
display this field instead of 952$4 under Damaged Status.

It is not clear to me how to change the "MARC bibliographic framework",
and/or the "Koha to MARC mapping" to achieve the desired result.

(A related question:  Is there a way of adding "Damaged Status" to the OPAC
"Normal" view?)

Thanks for your time,
Pete.