[Koha] NoZebra - Zebra

Marilen Corciovei marilen.corciovei at nemesisit.ro
Wed Aug 25 20:48:02 NZST 2010

On 08/25/2010 11:41 AM, MJ Ray wrote:
> Marilen Corciovei wrote:
>
>> told me NoZebra is no longer supported so I switched to zebra. The only
>> problem since was related to the fact that re-indexing is not in
>> real-time and one should get used to wait until the data is available
>> for search.
>>
> There are currently some discussions on the koha-devel email list
> about making reindexing happen in realtime, rather than the current
> configurable "every N minutes".  How big an issue is that for
> libraries?
>
> Do people know which other LMSes are really in realtime and which only
> claim to be?  (Koha is one of very few which you can check the code.)
>
> Is any (group of) library(/ies) willing to fund this change?  Or is
> someone already doing so?
>
> Curiously,

Actually the problem of re-indexing was only critical in a single point:
adding authorities and reusing them on the spot. This happens when
manually adding a biblio which cannot be found in z3950. The librarians
could not understand why to wait a few minutes in the process between
adding the authority and using it. In the end they got used to it. For
other things, I don't think real-time is really a problem. Only when you
expect to re-use the info you just added immediately. Of course one will
argue that you should add the authorities in advance but this is not
always the case especially if you are having a specialized library with
no available list of authorities before. As I said, it is a very
specific case.

Len