[Koha] Koha 3.0 : item types, collections etc and OPAC findability

Nicole Engard nicole.engard at liblime.com
Wed Mar 4 01:00:35 NZDT 2009

Joann,

Okay - let's see if I can do this :) I may miss a few things ....

#1 - you are right.

#2 - it looks to me like your problem is that you're thinking too
hard :)  Item types can be anything you want at all!! You can set item
types up to be Mystery Book, Non Fiction Book, Mystery DVD, Music CD,
Book on CD ... it's all up to you - I've seen libraries with TONS of
item types. These item types are not linked to the MARC record in the
way you're thinking - they're not the GMD - they're just whatever you
need at your library.

#2b - not sure what the problem is with the icons - will have to leave
that up to someone else.

#3 - yes - you can have the DVDs come from the same fund when ordering
but have a bunch of different DVD item types

#4 - you can put the genre into your collection codes if you like or
you can put them in the MARC record:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/sourcecode/genre/genrelist.html but either way
you'd have to put the term you want on the spine label into the call
number field -- so in your example you'd have to put MYSTERY in the
call number field if that's how you organize items.

#5 - Once again - you're thinking too hard - it's up to you and your
library.  If you want the J to be in the call number then put it in
082a and it should carry over to the item record when you click add
item.  Or you can just put the prefix in per item. The call number in
the OPAC comes from the call number field on the item record.

#6 - it seems that way  -but I need a developer to confirm that that
is what's being searched.

#7 - not sure ...

Hope I helped a bit ... let me know if I need to make edits to the
manual to make this all make more sense.

---

Nicole C. Engard
Open Source Evangelist, LibLime
(888) Koha ILS (564-2457) ext. 714