[Koha] Koha 3.0 : item types, collections etc and OPAC findability

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Tue Mar 3 16:52:08 NZDT 2009

Hi all,

I am still trying to understand the various 'bits' in Koha 3.0 which
help communicate to a borrower where to find an item in the collection.
Below is my attempt to define each of the areas in Koha to make sure I
understand their intended use... I would welcome (read here: am
begging!) for a bit of a collaboration here!

Heres my first cut:

*1.   Funds and budgets (basic parameters)*
1a. Fund code  and Fund name: to denote a 'purchasing centre'. Not to be
confused with item type - but they could be the same.

For example: Fund code:  F   and Fund Name:  Fiction
..
Or, it could be Fund Code = F1 and F2 and F3 and Fund name = "Fiction
selected by Library One', F2= "Fiction selected by Library Two' etc.

1b  Budget: a set amount budgeted for a set period of time for a single
Fund Code. eg F1 08  is for "Fiction purchased inthe 08 financial year
by Library 1" and and F1 09 being "Fiction purchased in 09 financial
year by Library 1". (building on above examples)

*2. Item Types (basic parameters)*
2a. Item type code  and description: don't know definition (please help)

Do these represent GMD ie video or cassette or book
OR do these represent set collections ie JNF and NF
OR sub collections: ie The Junior Fiction collection may have 3
sub-collections : ie picturebooks, easy readers and the main collection.
Would you create 1 item type for Junior Fiction or 3, 1 for each sub
collection?

Do the marc fields 007 - 01 and 007 - 02 have any place here for
indicating format (sub types on the staff client) How do we use these to
flow through to the OPAC?

2b. icon : how should these be selected or assigned? Are these the GMD
indicators? This definition or use works when looking at the 'bridge'
set of icons but does not work for the other icon sets ie Liblime kids
and Nelsonville.

*3. Circulation and fines rules*

These are assigned by item type. So  free DVDs and rental DVDs would
have to have 2 different item types since their rental charges and loan
lengths are different. But they might come from the same Book Fund.

*4. Collection, sub-collection, genres*
How do we reflect or record genres? ie Mystery adult fiction vs romance
adult fiction. They have a  spine label with a logo so how we record
that in Koha 3, but they are shelved in one sequence ie Adult Fiction.
Do we stick 'Mystery' in the call number field?
*
5. Call Number *

Do we insert a prefix ie J for junior before the dewey number to
indicate the book is in the junior library at the dewey number
 that is shown. Does the prefix sit before the dewey number in marc
field 082a or in a different marc field?
What about filing letters? Do we append them to the end of the dewey
number in 082a or do they go in a different marc field altogether?

*6. Extended search *:

Only the extended search in the staff interfcae is able to differentiate
between fiction or non-fiction or biography (marc fields 008 - 33) or
juvenile, young adult or adult (008 - 22) Is that correct?

7. Are there any other areas which could usefully help a borrower
physically locate an item in the library, using the catalogue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Jo..