[Koha] critical omission in INSTALL.debian-lenny

Emrys Minnig emrysminnig at varndean.co.uk
Tue Dec 22 08:40:20 NZDT 2009

Section 1.3 in the INSTALL.debian-lenny file should conclude with 'sudo apt-get update'.

I suspect that many of the numerous Zebra problems that have been surfacing on this mailing list may be a result of this oversight.

I recently did an install where I was a bit too focused on the instructions and stupidly forgot to run this command after adding the Indexdata (Zebra) URLs to sources.list.  As a result, Zebra was not installed.  Even though I configured my Koha installation to run Zebra, I never received warnings that the dependencies were not present.  In fact, rebuild_zebra.pl seemed to run without errors, but all catalogue searches yielded no results.

After discovering that Zebra had not actually been installed, I ran 'apt-get update' and was then able to install it.  Unfortunately, either due to it not being the correct version or it not being present during koha's installation process, there are permissions problems and koha-zebra-ctl.sh is not functioning properly.  (I have to use 'sudo zebrasrv -f /etc/koha/koha-conf.xml &', which works but is obviously not ideal.)

I probably shouldn't have missed this (unwritten) step after installing Koha successfully several times.  I'm certainly am not complaining!  Koha is frikkin epic, as are all those people putting so much of their lives into it.

Happy holidays!

Emrys