[Koha] Help with installation on fedora 8

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu May 1 02:16:19 NZST 2008

Hey Ken,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:43 AM, Ken Lomax <ken at lomax.gen.nz> wrote:

>  On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:08 +0200, Marijana Glavica wrote:
>  > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 06:58:46PM +1200, Ken Lomax wrote:
>  > > I am reminded very much of a situation we had with hardware vs software
>  > > many years ago with the hardware guys saying it was a software fault and
>  > > the software guys saying it was a hardware fault.
>  > >
>  > > Judging by the one and only reply to my request for help and no further
>  > > response from my reply to that, it appears that I am looking at a koha
>  > > vs perl/CPAN situation.
>  >
>  > why do you insist on Fedora? use Debian and everything will work and
>  > also for Debian you can get more support here.
>
>  Thia is the problem with so many distros. I have been in this situation
>  before with another challenge. Some distros are better at some things
>  than others, but a major application that only supports one
>  distro.......?????? If I change to debian, then i will have exactly the
>  same problem with other services who support a different distro. As this
>  is a small operation, I cannot afford a multitude of dedicated servers
>  each running a different distro
>

>  > > I am a great supporter of OpenSource, but after spending so much time on
>  > > koha (not only the previous four days-but in the considerable problems
>  > > in past installs) it appears that it is time to cut my losses and just
>  > > write my own application that will suit my purposes.
>  >
>  > It really depends on what you need, but for the system like Koha you will
>  > spend few years of development and also lot of help from librarians, and
>  > than, around version 3 you will finally be satisfied with your
>  > architecture :).
>
>  I was hoping to solve my library problem with an existing application.
>  It is not a full professional library application that is required here,
>  but from the experience I have had with working installations I give my
>  congratulations to developers for a good application. If I was running a
>  professional full scale library with a dedicated server, then Koha would
>  be a good choice.
>
>  However I have spent a total of well over 300 hours trying to get an
>  installation that I am happy with. In hindsight I would have been well
>  towards an application that would have served my needs if I had put that
>  time into my own application rather than getting involved in Koha.
Well, IMO that's not a particularly helpful attitude; there are a lot
of hard-working
folks in this community, and we don't happen to know much about your favorite
flavor of LInux. For what it's worth, I just discovered the following
French document
for how to install Koha on Fedora:

http://www.sigb-libres.info/guide-installation-koha3-alpha-fedora-7

I'm investigating having it translated and added to INSTALL.redhat. Is that
something you'd be willing to work on and contribute for RHEL? It'd be a shame
to waste that 300+ hours :-)

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support