[Koha] Help with installation on fedora 8

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Thu May 1 03:29:51 NZST 2008

Salvete!

>> I was hoping to solve my library problem with an existing
application.
>> It is not a full professional library application that is required
here,
>> but from the experience I have had with working installations I give
my
>> congratulations to developers for a good application. If I was
running a
>> professional full scale library with a dedicated server, then Koha
would
>> be a good choice.
>>
>> However I have spent a total of well over 300 hours trying to get an
>> installation that I am happy with. In hindsight I would have been
well
>> towards an application that would have served my needs if I had put
that
>> time into my own application rather than getting involved in Koha.
>Well, IMO that's not a particularly helpful attitude; there are a lot
>of hard-working
>folks in this community, and we don't happen to know much about your
favorite
>flavor of LInux. For what it's worth, I just discovered the following
>French document
>for how to install Koha on Fedora:

He didn't say otherwise, Josh. He *complimented* the developers, which I
tend to think is a great attitude. :)
Installation issues - particularly with this problem - are not an
unusual complaint in the least - it's a pain to install, plain and
simple. The dependencies ought to be bundled together to make this a
one, two, three process. If it's the case that LibLime doesn't want to
make for an easy installation for financial interests, that's fine. But
Fedora is not a strange distro in the least, nor is the complaint that
it's too hard to install far afield.

Cheers,
Brooke