[Koha] Help with installation on Fedora 8

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Apr 30 11:21:43 NZST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Ken Lomax <ken at lomax.gen.nz> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I have previously installed Koha on machines (twice successfully and twice
>  unsuccessfully), although each time with *considerable* difficulty.
>
>  I have a working 2.2.9 version on my server (which is also being used for
>  other services). The is a small SOHO network and the server also provides
>  other services to the network. It is to contain a very small (about 600
>  item) library for personal/professional use.
>
>  I need to replace the server hardware and am setting up a machine with
>  Fedora 8. I have spent the last four days trying to get Koha installed on
>  this machine (both 2.2.9 and 3.0-beta) without success.
Wow, that's a long time.

>  I have been trying on a brand new and clean install. However I have not
>  been able to get all the perl modules to install-in particular some of the
>  XML ones, eg. MARC::File::XML. A number of others I have only been able to
>  install with considerable research and manual installation of
>  "dependencies". They quite often suggest that force install is used, but
>  this also always fails. I was once able to get MARC::File::XML to install
>  by downloading source, but the koha installer refused to accept that it
>  was installed.
>
>  The install-CPAN. pl installer on version 3.0 keeps telling me i do not
>  have rights to access/install the .tgz file, even though I am working as
>  root.
Hmmm, that might be a deprecated script, I'm not certain. Anyone else know?
It sounds like MARC::File::XML install from CPAN isn't working on Fedora,
would you characterize that as a Koha install problem or a M::F::X problem?
It would be great to have an RPM for Koha Perl modules available, but I think
the developers are probably a bit tied up working on koha-specific issues
at the moment.

>  I also had considerable trouble with Zebra but eventually was able to
>  install a rpm from the idzebra site from FC6. I think this was successful,
>  but have been unable to confirm its operation.
Sounds like Zebra is also hard to install on Fedora ... again, is this a Koha
install problem or a Zebra install one?

>  I have got to the end of my tether on this, and have not been able to find
>  any other suggestions on the Internet. I apologise if there is something
>  under my nose that I have not been able to find, but can any one give
>  guidance or point me to sutable resources. I have looked at all the
>  documentation on the koha.org site as well as doing google searches.
>  Installing this program should *not* be this difficult.
Did you see the INSTALL and INSTALL.debian files in the Koha distribution?

>  I have considerable experience with fedora systems (please do not suggest
>  installing an other distro--it is not an option for me and I dont want a
>  flame war on that subject), but have only had minor experience with perl.
>  I have been able to come to grips with perl -MCPAN -e  'install
>  "xyz::abc"' but have little further experience. Is it a perl thing that I
>  am not understanding?
Not sure yet, I think we need more information about the specific
problems you're
having. Is CPAN not working for you on Fedora?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support