[Koha] Help with installation on Fedora 8

Ken Lomax ken at lomax.gen.nz
Wed Apr 30 10:36:16 NZST 2008

Hi

I have previously installed Koha on machines (twice successfully and twice
unsuccessfully), although each time with *considerable* difficulty.

I have a working 2.2.9 version on my server (which is also being used for
other services). The is a small SOHO network and the server also provides
other services to the network. It is to contain a very small (about 600
item) library for personal/professional use.

I need to replace the server hardware and am setting up a machine with
Fedora 8. I have spent the last four days trying to get Koha installed on
this machine (both 2.2.9 and 3.0-beta) without success.

I have been trying on a brand new and clean install. However I have not
been able to get all the perl modules to install-in particular some of the
XML ones, eg. MARC::File::XML. A number of others I have only been able to
install with considerable research and manual installation of
"dependencies". They quite often suggest that force install is used, but
this also always fails. I was once able to get MARC::File::XML to install
by downloading source, but the koha installer refused to accept that it
was installed.

The install-CPAN. pl installer on version 3.0 keeps telling me i do not
have rights to access/install the .tgz file, even though I am working as
root.

I also had considerable trouble with Zebra but eventually was able to
install a rpm from the idzebra site from FC6. I think this was successful,
but have been unable to confirm its operation.

I have got to the end of my tether on this, and have not been able to find
any other suggestions on the Internet. I apologise if there is something
under my nose that I have not been able to find, but can any one give
guidance or point me to sutable resources. I have looked at all the
documentation on the koha.org site as well as doing google searches.
Installing this program should *not* be this difficult.

I have considerable experience with fedora systems (please do not suggest
installing an other distro--it is not an option for me and I dont want a
flame war on that subject), but have only had minor experience with perl.
I have been able to come to grips with perl -MCPAN -e  'install
"xyz::abc"' but have little further experience. Is it a perl thing that I
am not understanding?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards to all
Ken Lomax