[Koha] Koha VMWare Virtual appliance problem

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 03:36:15 NZDT 2007

On 07/11/2007, Frédéric DEMIANS <frederic at tamil.fr> wrote:

> > Thanks for detailed email.  I followed your instructions step by
> > step.  Also I've understand all the steps.  inet addr: value in my
> > virtual appliance is 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>.  But when I point
> > to http://127.0.0.1 it says:
> > Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1
> > <http://127.0.0.1>.
>
> You have to take care of your Virtual Machine (VM) Ethernet setting.
> Your VM network connection can be: bridged, NAT or host-only. (1) It
> seems you have a host-only connection. It implies that your VM and host
> system can't communicate at all. In host-only mode, VM don't see the
> outside, and so the Internet. (2) The 'bridged' connection is the
> simplest solution: Kyle instructions will work. But you need a DHCP
> server on your network in order to lease an IP address to your VM. Even
> in this case, you may encounter some very tricky issues depending of VM
> Linux OS security policy. (3) NAT setting: don't rember... but I'm
> almost sure  it won't work since host and VM share a unique IP address.
> --
> Frédéric

NAT setting will work fine for VM host -> VM guest connections,
actually; I use it frequently with my Evergreen VMWare instance. Your
VM will get an IP address like 192.168.135.129; your host will have a
corresponding additional entry of 192.168.135.1. (On Windows, running
"ipconfig /all" will show you all of your system's IP addresses). So
from your Windows host you would be able to connect to your Linux VM
guest at "http://192.168.135.129" (assuming, of course, that Apache is
configured to enable connections from that block of IP addresses).

NAT won't work well for an entirely separate physical machine
accessing your VM guest, however. For that, you either need a bridged
connection, or to run a router service on your VM host that redirects
port 80 + 443 TCP to the VM guest.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University