[Koha] Simple MARC reference information

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Wed Aug 23 21:27:52 NZST 2006

Salvete!

>The British Library doesn't seem to support MARC on their Z39.50
>service, can anyone recommend any other free sources for MARC records
>for UK publications?

That's curious, their records are in MARC

http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/TNLVCH4T4ULVR1VC4QKFAB2QE2VL1YRXXY1SSXF6P7BLC7H
JRG-28786?func=full-set-set&set_number=019010&set_entry=000008&format=00
1

and they do state that they've z39.50 service

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/z3950copacaccess.html

which would lead me to believe you might be able to nick records in MARC
even though it says they support SUTRS or in a worst case scenario
convert SUTRS to MARC.

Have you registered for the Nigerian National catalogue?

http://www.nlbn.org/

The South African National Library has plenty of books on Nigeria,
though I'd have no way of being able to know if their records match your
books

http://natlib1.sabinet.co.za/

You can save records individually in MARC format there, which is how I
catalogue. Once again, z39.50 is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't
want to live there. When you search individually, you know the record
you're getting matches the book in your hand. South Africa's a III
catalogue, so it's a simple enough interface, and I'd be surprised if
they didn't have z39.50. To save an individual record, search for what
you're looking for. Click the basket that says Save Record when you've
gotten your fill click View Saved (there's generally a timeout on this
feature, so I tend to export my records in batches of 7-12) then click
MARC and Local Disk then name the file.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale MA