[Koha] Simple MARC reference information

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Wed Aug 23 21:22:15 NZST 2006

Wednesday, August 23, 2006   04:16 CDT

Dear Kevin,

One thing you could try in terms of sourcing MARC records for books published in the UK would be to hazard North American records, based on the fact that many works are co-published between affiliated presses.

I have another idea, but I would prefer to test it first, to prevent raising any false hopes. Could you possibly send a small sample of your book information so that I might try an experiment? 20-50 works would be sufficient, I should think.

As for Nigerian books, that's a bit more of a pickle, I should think and you may have to bite the bullet and try to construct original cataloguing. Depending on the number of such works and how quickly you need them, I might be able to help out with that. Again, I'd need to see an example of the data I'd be trying to deal with.

You can write back to me off listserv with this information if it is of interest to you.

If not, my best wishes as you move forward with MARC. I agree with Rosalie and others and recommend that you not abandon it. Eventually, and not too far off in the future, all that weird stuff will start to look familiar: I promise.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte