[Koha] Thesaurus and Authorities Files (and one or two other things)

Matthew de Gale matthew at tips.org.za
Fri Apr 23 03:57:36 NZST 2004

Hi

Thank you very much for Koha. I have been trying it out a little and
have got enough of a sense of it to start capturing for our small NGOs
special collection.

1: The one thing that is holding me back is not being able to figure out
how the thesaurus should work.  This probably immmediatly marks me as a
non-librarian (which is true) although I do understand the concept.
Unfortunatly none of the sample data packages seem to have anything
entered here so I haven't been able to do by example. I wonder is
someone would be kind enough to give a few examples of values that would
logically fit together in a thesaurus (and perhaps definitions of "DIG"
"RELATED" "FREE FORM" "AUTHORITY" "LIB" and "OTHER LIB"). Obviously a
pointer to a web resource on these would be wonderful, but I am thinking
specifically in terms of what they refer to in Koha

2 : Also: I assume the thesaurus values have an effect on the SUBJECT
field: but what exactly?

3 : Off topic note: for a newbie the ability to switch themes made a
vast difference in my learning curve: My organisation has a similar
subject area to UNIDO and switching to that template really assisted in
me getting a handle on KOHA (even if it is a bit incomplete!). More
stock templates would really help different types of users get going I
think. As soon as I have figured it all out I will try and contribute in
this regard (could be a while though!).

Once again thanks for the product.

Yours

Matthew

Matthew de Gale
Information Manager
Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS)
matthew at tips.org.za
www.tips.org.za
27-(0)11 - 6456404
27-(0)11 - 4844115